Thursday, May 24, 2012

What a week!

Update from the rest of the week... (so it will be random and out of order:)


Well we had field day in nearly the rain. Poor kids (pobricitos) they were literally crying (only the boys...go figure) from being wet and cold. I was mean and said, "that is why I said to bring extra clothes." I then grew a heart and let them call for more clothes. Aye aye they don't think that it is important to listen until it makes them unhappy. Like today, I asked the kids how many of their parents are coming tomorrow for graduation. I had a student that literally accused me of not giving him a graduation announcement and then demanded that I make another one (as if I have time). I shortly corrected that behavior and said, "umm excuse me, when I tell you to take it home, I don't say it because I like to hear myself talk, I say it because it is important." Then he said the cutest thing, "I made an incorrect choice, didn't I." I agreed and then at that moment, I felt very proud and accomplished. I obviously did not get through to him with listening or being responsible, but I taught him about good choices and bad choices. That is a skill that will serve him the rest of his life.


We also decided to go on a "walking field trip" to the park next door for the last hour of school. Everyone else played. My little go-getters decided to serve the community and pick up trash. I was so proud of them! I had my exit interview and gave my boss a collage we made for her in the shape of a crown. We called her "queen of the school." She looked like she was going to cry. I guess she noticed our relationship went southward after the whole JPAS incident too. This week, we are trying to rebuild it but it is difficult after such a blow to it. I can now pass her and say hi, instead of just a nod. She thinks I hate her, which makes me sad. I don't hate her, I just hate how she dealt with the situation, the situation that made my life a living he.. It is hard to say the least to go from a friend to an enemy and then try to get back up to the friend stage. Forgiveness is hard especially when the person that has wronged you is so close to you.


I finished their report cards and all of their stuff for graduation. For their diplomas, my intern and I glued plastic red bowls on a piece of square cardstock and then made tassels. They are super cute but boy were those tassels a pain. Thank heavens for my intern who does most of my prep work while I teach. Then I rolled up their diplomas like the old fashioned ones and secured it with a string. Then I printed out individualized awards for them from Lakeshore award maker in color. I also bought cookies and punch. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.


I have been such a witchy teacher this week and feel bad about it. I am so stressed and I am taking it out on them. Not that they don't deserve it acting how they have been lately, but my patience level is hanging by a thread. Let's just say, I am getting after them more and yet they still think I am nice and want to hug me every few seconds. I apologized to them but I still feel bad. Cleaning out desks was a nightmare and chaos. To be honest, I did not know if I had all of my kids at any given time because I was so busy cleaning.


We did Father's Day gifts because we spent so much effort on Mother's Day. I almost did not do anything because only a handful of my students actually live with their fathers. Some of their fathers left them when they were little, were murdered, died in horrific ways, or are in jail. I felt it was right but to be sensitive. So beforehand, I talked about different types of fathers you could have: grandfathers, angel fathers, etc... I did have unfortunately a lot of crying. It is so weird, I can be teaching, having a great day and then I will have a student that will just randomly start bawling because they miss their dead parent. I feel horrible. I just hug them and calm them down and tell them that we can talk during recess. First graders especially should not have to go through this. I just pray Heavenly Father will give them the strength they need. I had another girl today get mad and yell, "My dad is dead!" I comforted her and told her that she could make it for him anyway and read it to him outloud or she could choose her grandfather. I had others that flat out refused to do the book. We also made tie and shirt cards. What a year it has been and it is not over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment