Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Too horrible for a title

Ok, I think I have calmed down a little to at least discuss it. So I had my meeting with my JPAS evaluator and my principal. I felt like I was a lamb about to become slaughtered or about to go to the electric chair.  I actually was humming, "Lamb to the Slaughter," from the Nashville Tribute to the Prophet Joseph Smith CD as I was walking down to hear my fate/sentencing. I went in and they were being really nice, which is never a good sign with administration. They told me that I failed JPAS and that they could give me another chance but the district has decided against it. They also told me that I won't be able to upgrade in licenses or apply to grad school this summer. I just sat there wishing I was getting a root canal, surgery or anything else but being here. I was informed that my job is in question as well as all future jobs because no one wants to hire someone who fails JPAS. Only the really bad teachers fail JPAS. You know the ones that come late, don't prepare anything, etc... Yeah those ones. I failed worse than them. Nothing positive was told to me. I went from an 89% to about a 12%. I was then forced to make goals and sign it. I was then told I could contest it. I had my head down and left not at all happy. My dream of teaching was slowly dwindling away. The worst part was because I am a first year teacher,  I have no rights. I tried to say I was sick, etc... but they thought they were all excuses. Ok fine, I failed I get it. What I don't get is why I am not being offered another chance?

Yesterday...
I decided to contest it. So I filled out the paperwork to contest it and had a long meeting alone with my principal. I told her that I did not think it was fair and I am frustrated. She listened and told me she would ask why I am not being offered another chance. So I continued on the day. We had a field trip to Lowe's and to the Library. It was my first ever field trip with my own class. I was so sick. I had not eaten or slept for I don't know how many hours. I felt nauseous and was dry heaving. I couldn't throw up because I had not eaten anything. Plus, I would start crying random times of the day. I asked a parent if she could stay with me all day long not giving a reason. The reason was so that she could stay with them while I left to cry. I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown. I got through the day thanks to that parent and attended a meeting with my mentor. I vented and cried with her. I then asked my boss what the reason was for not offering me another chance. She said simply that they don't have to and they are not. She also told me that they don't have to offer me a reason. What a load of garbage! I literally hung my head down and told her thanks anyway. Then I decided to go to my union representative and they sent me to a caseworker that is deciding if they can win my case. Finally a twinge of hope.

All I want to do is teach. I am most likely putting in my resignation in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize I could comment here. I"ve been following all this and feel very sad you are having to go through with all this. Do talk to union but make sure you have kept track of everything even notes from meetings. However I do know that they don't have to give you a reason for not rehiring if you don't have tenur (or what ever you guys call it). In our district that is 4 years they can release you with out cause. You've got to feel sick and I know it is hard to keep going but you really have to keep doing your best through the rest of the year. Get council to see if you want to resign or get released at the end of the year. That makes a difference in getting rehired somewhere else. Don't give up on teaching.
    Get a blessing and hand in there! BEV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bev! The union found out they could not do anything. So I told my boss I am finishing out the year and then I won't be back. She seemed relieved. On to hopefully a better job.

    ReplyDelete