Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Complements, complaints, and breakdowns

Well my sweetums are climbing the latter to success actually at a very fast rate. I am so proud of how much work they have put in the support from their parents! We are three points away from our class party! I use a hundred's chart to help them earn parties. If someone complements them, they get a point and if we get a bundle (10), we get a party or other reward. We are soo close:) So remember my last post about being a strict teacher. Well today at recess duty, I had kids practically hanging off me telling me how nice I was as their teacher. See what I mean..kids love a fair teacher. I am always amazed the children who I have to discipline the most, who cry because "I am so mean" are the ones that want hugs goodbye and tell their parents how nice I am. Ha go figure! Having said that, I got my first parent call to the principal, rather a complaint. I was told to report to the Principal's office after school. My heart sank, I could hardly finish teaching until the end of the day, thinking the worst. 


When I got there, with solemn faces, they told me to take a seat. "Oh no," I thought I was in for it. They explained that a parent called and complained that I was too nice! What? If I am too nice, I can't imagine how the child is being raised! They wanted me to be a very strict disciplinarian! Like yell at the kids I guess. My principal laughed and said well another parent's mom called and wants their child to go into my class. So me and another colleague are swapping students. Ok whatever, at least he will be easier to handle, right. Nope (well I am not sure for myself) but I am told he is 10xs harder to handle than mine that left me. So a complement and a complaint in one conference!


Let's see a very harsh member of my team complemented me and gave me a hug. A student told me that I looked good now that I have lost weight.:) Than the rest of the class kept giving me complements. A lot of the faculty were giving me complements. Heavenly Father knew that I would need as much love today as possible. Let's see what else happened today. I had a student fall at recess and bite through his lip. Another one, I wrongly corrected and had to publicly apologize. Haha I thought the student was just drawing when he really was giving the correct answer. I have them use personal whiteboards and then they show me the answer. Well the problem was: what is the 9th letter in Mathematics? Well the student put  "I" but put it looked like a drawing instead. I reprimanded the student and told him to please get on task and that is a warning. Then I looked around and saw many of my students with it. I thought they were ganging up on me or something. Nope, just doing exactly what I had asked them to do. Haha so I felt embarrassed and laughed at myself and apologized to him several times. I have had to do that many times since I started. I will call a student the wrong name in an irritated tone and that student is being perfect. I apologize and everything is good. I think it is good for them to see that their teacher makes mistakes too and she too, if she does, has to apologize. It is amazing how instantly children forgive. I guess that is why we are exhorted to be like them.


Finally, I had a mini breakdown in team meeting today. I wasn't planning on it but science took over. It was like a bottle with pressure and it hadn't quite hit its mark where it explodes. Well more pressure was added to it (this was before I found out about my new student) and that was testing scores that have to be evaluated, reported and turned back in very soon and a chapter in a book I have to read and discuss on Friday, and I exploded. I don't mean yelling because I never do that but I started crying. I told my team I am drowning (trying to be as dignified as possible and I started crying) They fixed some things to make my work load easier and gave me a hug. I love them so much and am so grateful for them!


So I really am seeing the principles of the scriptures as a teacher unfold in my life. There are many incredible books and people that offer great advice on teaching. My mentor being one of them. However, I have found that the scriptures offer the best advice of all. Be like children. The little things that you do bring many great rewards. Don't procrastinate! Report everything. Turn to the Lord in all things. Treat others how you want to be treated. Be prepared. Don't idle away your time. He always answers prayer and it is usually through others (like an awesome staff). Prioritize. Be cheerful. It makes since as the Lord is the master teacher that he would have an entire instruction manual on how to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment