Thursday, January 5, 2012

Introduction and Day 1---CRAZY!!!

How do you teach when your students have not been taught how to learn? That is the struggle I am dealing with already. Forget what it takes to create a learning environment. These kids need to know everything from Preschool to the middle of 1st Grade in 5 mo. Everywhere I turn I am told something new to do or that should be done to get my kids up to grade level. Stressed and overwhelmed is an understatement. I was told to create a journal of my first year to reflect back on and see my growth as a teacher, but I thought a blog would be more fun.

Here I will tell about the amazing things I learn, the good, the bad and the downright heartbreaking. The staff here is amazing and very helpful. My principal has already taken time out of her schedule to help my kids get caught up..how sweet:) Whenever I turn around, someone is pulling out my low kids to help them catch up. I ask for anything and it is granted. The parental support is phenomenal. I already have at least 2 boys who have a crush on me and will work the hardest for me:) I had a student hold the door open for me and say, "After you!" Another dedicated his journal to me. The kids have at least 3 emotional meltdowns a day with full on tears. They are so afraid of failing that they don't try. They don't know their ABCs sounds of letters. They are not learning the procedures very well so it makes it hard to teach them anything. They have not been reading at home or at school, writing or doing much of math.

My heartbreaks just meeting their parents and finding out what they have to deal with on a daily basis as a 6 yrs old.

I love teaching still!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you will have a busy yet eventful year. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...I may be working with 6th graders, and not totally on my own, but it sounds like we have very similar situations academically. We can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' Good. It all comes together.....and then a new year starts! BEV

    ReplyDelete