Monday, January 23, 2012

Differentiation is the Key

So as a first year teacher, you meet with your mentor and you set weekly goals based on your district's standards. Well my goal this week was to differentiate or teach one lesson in 3-4 different ways based on abilities. It can be a daunting task but fortunately the program that we use, differentiates for us. So, I am introducing guided math tomorrow. Where I will teach one lesson and then for homework and independent practice, they will all have different group assignments based on a pre-assessment I gave today. So I hope I can reach all of their needs because I need to get their grades up. Plus, they need to learn this stuff:)


Anyway, I was very stressed and impatient today. Plus, imagine "Finding Nemo,"all of the little birds saying "Mine, mine, mine, mine." Ok that is how today was for me. All of my first graders were shouting Miss Newbold and wanting my help all day long. I was so glad for the day to be over. Things were just crazy from the beginning. I was just trying to get ready for the day, feeling lousy, and parents wanted to talk to me, etc... Oh my goodness. The other first grade teachers say they had the same day:) So, I pretended to be patient and sweet, but oh I almost lost it. Just imagine the seagulls in Nemo for 7 hrs straight and see how sweet you are at the end;)

No comments:

Post a Comment