Tuesday, January 31, 2012

100 Day!

It has been 100 days of school for them (for me: a month tomorrow) and so the whole school had a party. They gave out bracelets, we made 100 day glasses, we sang songs, they created a 100 hand mural, they did activities related to 100, we counted in Spanish to 100, etc.. It was a very fun and surprisingly relaxing day! That is because I had my last JPAS observation right when school started and then it was over. I think it went pretty well except she came in when we were doing bell work. Bell work meaning I don't teach, I take role and they work quietly by themselves. So I quickly had to make a lesson out of bell work! So I decided to correct it out loud, use the word wall, sing, etc...to make a lesson and she loved it! 


So during our party, I had a parent volunteer and she had the painting center under control. So I decided to relax and enjoy my wonderful students and get to know them a little better. I played games with them, I helped decorate valentines for our senior citizens, I let them talk a little louder than normal, I just had fun. Almost by the end of our party, I had most of my students wanting to play a two-player game with me. They crave one-on-one time with the teacher. They would rather miss recess to play with me than with their friends (boys and girls). It was like most of the stress had left my body and I just melted.


At PTC, I had 3 no shows and parents that don't understand that their child is only 7. They expected perfection and were very upset about 1 test score. Wow, their student is reading at a 4th grade reading level. They should be hugging him, not saying that he can do better. Anyway, they left unhappy. Ok don't shoot the messenger! After PTC, I had a 30 min meeting with my principal. She is amazing!! She told me I am doing a great job and gave me some pointers with a few of my students--basically how to deal with them. We talked about her life and her past teaching opportunities. Did I mention how much I love her! She also told me that she likes how I don't send every student that touches another student to her like the other teachers do. I asked her if I could take care of it my way or she needed to see them. She said I could take care of it and she wants me to do it. I had a very well-meaning teacher/friend come in when I was disciplining at recess for some "bothering others." I had them read the sign of how to not be a bully and ask them if any of those words said hit others back, etc.. I helped them know what to do the next time they get angry and told them to go play. She was stunned how I didn't yell at them or take them to the office. She said she is a no-tolerance teacher where any fighting and you are in the office.


Anyway, today was a good day except it is near midnight and I am working on my JPAS report that is so far near 20 pages due on Friday. Ahh life of a new teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment