Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Parent Confernces--lots of surprises!

Well today was another fantastic day! My students are doing amazing and already improving. We even got complements from the entire lunch staff! I just can't stop bragging about my students and feel very fortunate to be teaching them. I tried this new strategy that I think I am going to continue with another lesson. They used their phonics phones where they have to whisper, to read letter sounds around the room. For an entire 10 min, my class was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop:) Their behavior is getting better every day! Oh I just love them so much. I have to leave them with a sub tomorrow for a training and I just pray she is nice to them. I never yell or talk negatively to my kids because I don't see the point, so I hope she does not either. Let's see..I received an apple from a student and felt like a real teacher.


After school, I had parent conferences and well there were many surprises. All of the parents are on board and very supportive. I have 4 ESL children so I did a few conferences completely in Spanish. Thank heavens for my mission training. I had a student who is performing very well in all aspects, especially behavior, and her family came in for conferences. After saying as many nice things as I could say in Spanish, all of a sudden her mom starts screaming at her. So I am trying to make sure I did not say anything wrong and hoped I had not upset her. She goes on and on about how her child is perfect for me but not at home and how she must love me more. At this point, I did not know what to do, so I just listen trying to make sense of this screaming women's Spanish. Then everyone starts crying (her brother, mom and her. I still just listen and try to let this poor women vent while her child is near choking crying so hard. Then again out of nowhere, she hugs her mom and everyone is hugging and crying. She profusely thanks me for fixing their problem and walks off thinking I am the best thing ever. What in the world just happened, I wonder. So now I have my ESL parents on board because their child has a teacher that can understand their needs and concerns.


I love being an educator!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing good! Keep up the good work, Teacher ;)

    ReplyDelete