Thursday, February 2, 2012

Near the end of conferences

Well I saw all but five of my students and their parents. Two of my students are getting held back. I was so relieved to hear that. Then when asked who they wanted to teach them next year, they said they wanted me to teach them. Oh goody. So I am probably getting all Spanish kids and them. What a fun year next year will bring:) I did a really fun lesson with learning about =,+, - with hand movements and repetition. I loved it and I came with it on the spot having an hour of unplanned time. Everything was going well, we had 5 min left and then an observer for me came in. 


Are you kidding me? The last five minutes of class for any teacher is the most stressful. You are trying to get papers passed back, the room clean, backpacks, chairs up, and all while maintaining control. Well so far, it has been my weakness. I have tried games, quiet ball, and now I read them a book. Well she came in and they were quietly listening to me read a book and doing great. I said goodbye to them and then had a meeting with my observer. Instead of complementing my class on how much they have grown, she wanted to talk about how 85 percent of my students were off task during my lesson. What is the world? Then she talked about how many discipline problems I had. What? I don't remember any problems or anyone off task. I also didn't follow the 4-1 ratio. For every 1 bad thing you say, you have to say 4 good things or praises. For example, with my class, ____please put your pencil down is "bad." So because I corrected a behavior so we can learn, I now have to find 4 praises to say to make up for that one correction. So instead of me focusing on my students and their learning, I have to constantly think, have I said four praises per correction. Even if I say, "hands down, please just think." That is bad and I have to keep going with the 4. Also if a student gets it wrong, I have to go back to him by the end of the lesson and give him a chance to get it right. So I began to explain how I have chilled more not in discipline but made my lessons more creative and picked my battles. She was like, "yeah so you can get more points." I was thinking, no so I can teach better and they can learn more. I like my coaches and mentors when they help me, not make me more discouraged.


I also had a student of mine get suspended for beating someone up. Luckily I didn't witness it. I was just told about it. I also have another parent that wants their kid out of another teacher's class and so I will get him. He is another "bully." Why do I get the hard kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment