Friday, March 2, 2012

Dr. Seuss' Birthday!

Even though we are celebrating Dr. Seuss all next week, we still had fun today. We had Smokey the Bear and a friend read, "The Lorax" with the first grade. It also was pajama day so I slept in an extra hour and wore my pjs to work:) I have the cutest picture of some of my class and I. I was very impressed with how quiet my kids were at the assembly. All of the other teachers had to move their kids and get after them. Mine I had to remind them to sit on their pockets but other than that, no. I also had to move a gifted child to come and stand with me because he was getting bored and causing problems. Then all of my tough kids wanted to stand with me.


One thing about me is I really try to not just punish my students but find out why they did what they did and get to the root of the problem. So with this student, he was acting out because he was bored. If I would have just said,"_________ sit up or you will clip down when we get back or whatever," I would have taken care of the surface of the problem. However, since I realized the root of the problem, I sent him out to get a drink and to stand by me. The behavior instantly was fixed and there was no hurt feelings or un-necessary punishment. Secret: I secretly love it when I bring my kids in from recess or we are walking somewhere and all of the other teachers are yelling at their kids to be quiet and I get to brag about my kids and say how quiet they are. Yep, I act sort of prideful in that moment.


Then the end of the day, we watched Dr. Seuss', "Chasing Rainbows while they created their own. I don't usually let them color because I think it is a waste of time when they have an art teacher, so this was a privilege for them and they loved it. After school, I went to a confrontations class. Which was good, because later I had to call the bad sub and request she not come back. It was hard. She was mad. She yelled, but I have to do what is best for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment