Monday, March 12, 2012

Overall good day:)

So today was good. We discussed changes with my class, I got a new coach, and school went overall smoothly. It really is weird having your friend as your principal, especially when we are trying to be professional: Mrs._________ and Miss Newbold instead of Natalie and ________. She even stepped out of her jeans and casual clothes to a dress. It was weird:) I suddenly realize that I don't want to be an administrator anymore...she was in meetings until the cows came home today.


Lesson reflections: We did bum writing where they pretend their bottoms are a pencil. Then they write their spelling words with them. I saw it done at another school. What an ab workout! I also taught capacity in math with real life objects. Oh my goodness, they loved it! Hopefully it sunk in. I was using one container that I think was growing mold. So when I opened it, I about threw up. So my entire class wanted to smell it on their way to their desks. Hey science right? Speaking of science, we watched a science movie with popcorn making all of the other first graders jealous. But hey my kids were angels last week especially for a substitute. So we have a popcorn maker at school (the kind at a movie theatre), so I thought hey a free party plus it is educational. I apologized to our janitor and offered to vacuum my room. It was awesome and I brought extra salt and let them independently pour it. They loved it!


I also introduced debate to my kids for the first time. It had some kinks but for the most part, it went very well. They are learning about opinions. My sentence was: "Everyone in Vernal likes dinosaurs!" I love the points they came up with. Even first graders have strong opinions. I started the lesson by saying some  emotion-rising statements like, "girls are better than boys," (I did have one boy agree - bless his heart)", "people who cry are wimps," etc... At first they wanted to agree with me because who wants to argue with the teacher. Than some brave souls told me they did not agree and the class soon followed. 


Overall it was a good day and it is past midnight and I am EXHAUSTED:l

No comments:

Post a Comment